I was just wondering how life would be WITHOUT Apache!
- We would still be doing ASP. Many of us would have gone into ASPX and C#
- CGI and PHP wouldn't have come out..
- Total no. of websites in the world would be less. I don't know how much % but yes, it would surely be less.
- There would all be Windows Hosting Services everywhere and the prices would be higher and higher...
- Who can forget the popular Tomcat. Java wasn't open source before, other app servers were not that comfortable interms of price, simplicity and ease of use. Every newbie in JSP/Servlet starts with Tomcat. People crib that Tomcat doesn't have EJB, who needs EJB these days?
- No Java projects would compile using Make, so Ant came it. Imagine how difficult life would be without ANT scripts.
- MVC the most popular design pattern: Struts is the name you think of. If it weren't there, you'd still be writing your own servlets and JSP and controller logic.
- Almost 80-90% of GOOD Java EE developers would use Apache Commons. I mean who doesn't use it?
- Logging your application for debug and support, What would you do without Apache Logging Sevices
- Forget all programming, there is still no comparision with Xerces for XML. I challenge.
- Make your code as Webservice? No words about Axis, yet again apache product!
- You want a middleware java messaging framework for your JMS? Use ActiveMQ
- Object relation model: Try iBatis, you wont leave it again.
All in all, If there was no Apache, Life wouldn't have stopped but would have been SO SO damn difficult. My many many thanks to Apache...